Friday, June 8, 2012

10 Years & Counting

This past week I attended the Staff Recognition Lunch for those who have been with my University for 10, 20, 30, 40 and yes, 50 years! At first I didn't want to attend but I changed my mind mainly because a) I thought it would look bad if I didn't attend, b) I was getting a free lunch, and c) I might also get a free umbrella. Hey, umbrellas are handy, you can never have enough. Plus I thought I never, ever actually stay 10 years when I was hired, well, 10.5 years ago. Go figure.

My first hint that this was a BIG DEAL came as I watched a bus from another campus unload. Then there was the line of people waiting to check in. It was really lovely, yes, I did get an umbrella (plus a nifty tote bag) and yes, there were 4 people recognized for 50 years of service. But I got something else out of this event (besides the best chocolate cake EVER). It was the chance to think about the last 10 years of my life and what has happened. So here is a very brief run-down of the last 10.5 years of my life.

Got married (really 12 years ago but it's pertinent).
Tried to get pregnant.
Went to Hawaii.
Earned my PhD.
Got pregnant.
Went to the Grand Canyon.
Had a miscarriage.
Got divorced.
Moved into an apartment & lived all by myself for the first time ever (did I mention I was 38 at the time?)
Moved into my director's position after she was let go. All the glory, none of the money.
Trained for and finished my first and only sprint triathlon.
Fell in love.
Started the adoption process.
Visited the Iowa State Fair (epic - everyone should go once).
Moved again into a house with a housemate.
Travelled to Nicaragua for the 1st time.
Became single - again.
Became a mother in 6 hours (phone call at 12:30 p.m. Baby staring at me from dining room table at 6:30 p.m.)
Became seriously sleep deprived.
Became a single working mother.
Bought my first new car in 11.5 years (boy did those things get fancy).
Got a new housemate.
Celebrated my son's first birthday and my survival.
Went back to Nicaragua with my son.
Joined Twitter.
Got a new housemate.
Survived the holidays.
Went back to Nicaragua without my son and had a panic attack on a volcanic crater.
Went to my first (and possibly last) Sesame Street Live show.
Dyed Easter eggs for the first time in decades.
Taught more classes than I can believe.
Attempted Internet dating.

It looks funny written all down and this was just the basics. Lots of gory details were omitted like ER visits, projectile vomiting,  and the occasional "feeling like a total failure as a mother" fit. Ten years is a long moment in time. I don't know if I could have predicted much of anything listed above 10.5 years ago. Don't know if I would have wanted to. I like to believe I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment